Imagine, you are suddenly given the opportunity to speak in front of the United Nations Assembly, What would you say? You have 15 minutes!
You are on vacation in Prague, and unexpectedly you found yourself sitting at the same dinner table with Richard Branson, Warren Buffet, Mo Ibrahim, Aliko Dangote, and they all agree to help you achieve your lifetime dream? What will you ask for?
Your business is facing difficult transition period, and the same board that manages Apple or Walmart agrees to meet you and give you free advise and connections to help you out. What questions will you ask? Whom would you like to be introduced to?
You are a startup founder, looking for money to grow, and fortunately you’ve been introduced to a qualified investor interested in investing in your business. How much money will you ask for? What challenges would like the investor help you overcome?
If you want a new job, you have to ask someone to give it to you or introduce you to the right people. If you want someone to marry you, you have to ask that person. If you need money to grow your business, you need to ask for it from a friend, a family member or an investor.
What things have you planned to ask for this week, this month, this year? – Do you have a list ready?
The moment I understand that what stands between me and things I want is another person approval, I now always carry with me a list of things I need other people help to get. I memorize the list, and I always carry it with me.
The whole point is this: You never know when you’ll meet the right person to ask for. And the simple act of carrying my wish list surprisingly attracts to me the very people I need to get closer to what I want.
But, first You have to know what you want, and Be prepared to Ask for it, the moment you meet the right person.
To give you an idea, here is the list I carry with me regarding my company current needs. This list is shared with all employees and anyone could add to it or provide hint for solution or connection to the right people or resources.
1. Business model
1. Should we give the software to use for free and only earn money from affiliate marketing activities?
2. How much should we charge for our white label solution? Is our current pricing good?
2. User Interface
1. Should we simplify the homepage? if yes how? Any suggestion?
2. How the ideal homepage should look like? Any recommendation or good examples to follow?
3. Should we remove the “Promotions” page from the site
4. Is the design of our play widget appealing enough to end users?
3. Finding new interns and employees
1. Do you know any good programmer who want to join a startup? We are hiring!
2. We are now looking for an experienced CTO to join the company with equity incentive. Do you have anyone in your network that could be interested?
3. We are looking for 2 interns to help localize (translation) the application in Estonian and Latvian, 2 countries in our next roll out strategy.
4. We are looking for an experienced B2B sales person with track records selling to medium to big B2C companies (telecom, retail, entertainment
4. Asking for introduction to people and companies
1. We are trying to connect to Company A and Company B marketing managers, can you help an introduction?
2. List of companies and people we want to connect to: C, D, E, F
5. Testing our go-to-market tactics with people who could help
1. Here is our current go-to-market strategy, what do you think? What should we do differently?
2. Do you know any company which has used a similar go-to-market strategy?
3. What are the main risks of our business strategy, and business model?
4. If you were investor, will you invest in our business?
6. Quick help from experts in some Fields
1. Are you good with Google analystics? Can you help us configure our account properly?
2. We are looking for the main KPI to use to manage our product launch. Now were are thinking mainly about 10% growth month over month? what do you think? are we missing anything?
3. Are you good with bootstrap Design? We want to create a new landing page for Goodbuzz can you help with full responsive design?
4. We are using Vtiger CRM for our leads and customers relationship management, it’s tough to get started. I’ll buy you a dinner if you can spend 2 hours with my team to help us start the right way!
1. How could we better optimize our play format display on mobile phone without creating a native app?
2. How does the play widget look like when displayed on your smartphone? can I check it?
3. What kind of integration to do to make the display smooth inside publishers property on mobile phones?
4. Can you please spend 5 minutes testing it, and tell me what you think?