Starting from September 5, in Cape Town, South Africa, the Startupworld initiative will hold a series of 4 events targeting African startups to include into the worldwide competition. Startup World pitch competitions are currently held in 36 cities across the globe.
It’s the first year the competition is opened to African startups, and the prizes are huge. The regional winners, aside from a trip to the Silicon Valley, California in the United States for a final grand competition, will each receive $37,000 in cash with Racksapce hosting for six months valued at US$ 3000, and 1 million Echo real-time streams valued at US$ 7000.
The Grand Finale winner will be crowned as StartupWorld’s Global Winner with a 3-month incubation period worth $30,000 sponsored by i/o Ventures. Other trophies include a 1-year of hosting worth up to $24,000 sponsored by Rackspace, 5-million real-time streams per month for 1 year worth $30,000 sponsored by Echo and International media coverage of their startup on The Next Web’s global audience of nearly 8 million.
Here are the dates for the African startup competition:
- September 5: Cape Town, South Africa
- September 7: Nairobi, Kenya
- September 12: Kigali, Rwanda and
- September 14: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
What are the criteria for entry?
- To enter Startup World, your startup must have been launched within the last 2 years
- If your startup has received external funding, it can only be funding up to $500K USD
- You must have a demonstrable product or service
- You must be prepared to talk about your product and service in public and have it demonstrated and recorded for public broadcast
- Pitch and application documents must be in English or you must provide a translator
- The startup can be across any field; clean tech or consumer tech for example, but must be for profit
What are the judging criteria?
There are five main judging criteria:
- How innovative/disruptive the idea is
- How scalable the technology is
- How innovative the pitch is
- Global reach
- Human impact
All the startups have to use English in the pitching and application documents.
Here is the link to apply.